Amazon

New top story on Hacker News: Show HN: Public transportation signage based on bloom filters (rough mockup)

Show HN: Public transportation signage based on bloom filters (rough mockup)
3 by bitsinthesky | 1 comments on Hacker News.
Hello, I was running around Germany, hectically navigating public transportation, and getting lost all the time. I noticed that every station had i platforms, each used lists of n buses (trains, whatever) arriving, each has their list of m destinations. That means I would be scanning i x n x m items just to see if I was at the correct stop. As I was nervous, for every bus that arrived, I would rescan the list of stops to double check. I began thinking how I could make a better system. Linked is a very shoddy mockup of how bloom filters could be used to allow passengers O(1) lookup time for which platform+bus is the correct one. I believe it's likely for public transportation to grow increasingly more complex in the future, as population grows, and under the current list-based system, this will make the signage ever more complex. I think some bloom filter mechanism could reduce that complexity. So, here is my fantasy, my day dream. What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Israel orders Gazans out of swathes of Khan Younis - Reuters

Mexico's president says country will break diplomatic ties with Ecuador - NPR